Monday, November 3, 2014

Progress


Some might say it’s just me becoming acclimated to the culture and environment. I say no; it’s knowing I serve a mighty God and He gives me wisdom, encouragement and strength when I need it the most. I had hired Miguel, a brother from the church in Santa Rita, to help me put up some walls and do some other odds and ends to get the house in Nauta more comfortable for us. Miguel is a carpenter and storeowner in Santa Rita. For him to come help me means he has to leave his wife with his three sons and she would also have to run the store for him. He said “not a problem I’ll be there Wed. morning.”; this was Sunday. I have to admit I was a bit surprised when early Wed. morning my phone rang and it was Miguel saying “Joel I’m getting on the boat in Santa Rita right now I’ll be there in 4 hours can you pick me up at the port and help me I have all my tools” Miguel showed up with all his tools, a tent to sleep in, a big smile, and a “lets get started”.
We started by framing up a wall down stairs to support the upstairs floor. When we wrapped that up I decided it was time for us to go get some dinner. At dinner Miguel, in his timid, not sure how to tell me voice began. “Joel, I am very concerned about your house. I don’t think it’s safe for you and your family to be living upstairs because it is been badly damaged by termites.” He went on to explain to me that the lower part of the house had been built by lumber that the termites wouldn’t touch but that all of structural framing upstairs was built with lumber that termites love and they had damaged it badly. To top this off he said where we live has strong windstorms and structurally it’s not safe. We finished dinner and went home and decided to do a little more extensive looking the next day. Sure enough the next day he showed me all the damage and the difference in the lumbers that had been used. That afternoon I asked Miguel if he would get me an estimate to complete the repairs needed and he agreed. He wrote me up an estimate and told me he had three guys that we could hire to help do the work. They could get started in 10 days all we needed was to put half down on the lumber so that the sawmill could start cutting lumber.
Another project we are working on at the moment is getting running water from our existing in ground storage tank into the house. The way that is achieved here in Peru is to elevate a ¾ ton water tank elevated on a tower 30 feet in the air. I have been very concerned with the safety of this especially after learning of the termite issues, seeing as how they build the towers out of wood. So, in my research I have found the latest Peruvian technology, a pressure tank system! Very similar to what we would use in the states. The cost is the same as doing the elevated tank just much safer and more efficient. God once again has stepped in and blessed me with the help I need to install the running water. There is a local Bellingham team coming from Laurel Community Baptist Church coming on Nov 7th to help us complete the water project.
We really need all of our amazing prayer warriors; please be praying that the funds can be raised to meet our current needs. We need to raise about $4,500.00 to complete both of these projects. Thank you so much for keeping us in your prayers. We feel them daily and they are such a strength and comfort to us.






No comments:

MY CUP RUNNETH OVER