Monday, November 24, 2014

Church Tonight




Tonight as I [Amy]sat in a tiny section of a dirt house…. I mean a real dirt house, dirt walls and dirt floor…… and listened to  a small group of Christians [10 + us] worshiping with old church hymns and a humble pastor speak about glorifying God in all our struggles; I was overcome with emotion.  Pastor Juan spoke about what a privilege it is to suffer for the glory of God because of how Jesus suffered for us. That we should rejoice in our difficulties because God gives us strength and power through these times.  To take up our cross and follow in Jesus’ footsteps. I listened and was so humbled when this man said “How can I complain when I haven’t even come close to what Jesus suffered for me.”
Are you kidding me?! You have so much more of an understanding than I will EVER have for the suffering Jesus went through….and you are glad in it!!! It made me feel about the size of a pea because I am ashamed at the times I have complained over the most trivial thing and felt justified in complaining about it. And, here I was listening to Pastor Juan encourage his congregation to rejoice in the sufferings and know that their reward would be great and the God would give them strength and power. Oh boy, will their reward be great in heaven because they have suffered and continue to thank God everyday in all circumstances. He spoke to them about not searching for the “cheap church” that only preaches about feel good things and to look for the true gospel that teaches love and growth and strength in God through all things, good times and bad times. I’m sure I am totally butchering his sermon but, I just can’t explain how his words struck me to the core.

I saw faith, hope, and love….and the greatest of these was love.  They love each other so purely and fiercely. I thought tonight that this must be what the first churches were like and I could see why they have such a strong faith. When the people here read the words of the Bible they are not that far removed from the people of that time. They are suffering with just trying to provide food and shelter for their families. They have to work hard for everything they have and work in harsh conditions. The fortitude that their world instills in them lends them the grace and power to comprehend God’s word in a way that my privileged life has not allowed me.  I see now why THEY must be the ones to spread God’s word. And, how important our role here is in helping them to do that…..So I leave you tonight with a heartfelt THANK YOU!! Each of you are doing this work with us…you are allowing the strong faith and love of these people to flow up and down the river and far in the jungle.

No comments:

MY CUP RUNNETH OVER